Special ReportsPublished on Jul 01, 2011 PDF Download
ballistic missiles,Defense,Doctrine,North Korea,Nuclear,PLA,SLBM,Submarines

Indian Handicraft and Handloom Workers



Indian Handicraft and Handloom Workers

Life and Working Conditions in Villages -A Brief Survey

Indian handicrafts, traditionally made by rural artisans, radiate a certain charm of their own that has been long admired the world over for the brilliant mix of colours and exquisite craftsmanship. Rural units, or cottage industries, account for 78.2 per cent of all handicrafts produced in the country. Embedded in India’s traditions and social history, they are the artistic expression of the makers, both women and men. About 77 per cent of the artisans are selfemployed and the rest 23 per cent are wage earners.

The views expressed above belong to the author(s). ORF research and analyses now available on Telegram! Click here to access our curated content — blogs, longforms and interviews.