Sonali Mittra is Associate Fellow at ORF. She is the programme coordinator for ORF’s annual flagship project, the Asian Forum on Global Governance. She is also former Senior Fellow of the Queen Elizabeth II Academy for Leaders in International Relations, Chatham House, London.
Her research focuses on the nexus between energy and water security — specifically transboundary water management and diplomacy, hydropower, and environmental security.
Sonali has authored several policy recommendation reports and academic papers on Ganga, the Indus basin and the Brahmaputra Basin funded by World Bank, DFID, Stimson Centre, Atlantic Council and International Water Management Institute. She co-authored the book, Alternative Perspectives on Water in South Asia, published by Academic Foundation, India.
She has also worked on the blue economy, South Asian connectivity, and disaster management in India and manages ORF’s flagship projects, such as the South Asia Water Dialogue, the Mekong-Ganga Dialogue, the India Trilateral Forum, and CyFy Africa.
- Water Diplomacy
- Global Governance
- Environmental Law
- Academy Senior Fellow, Asia and the Energy, Environment and Resources Programme, Chatham House, London — February to September 2017
- Project Assistant, Chatham House, 2015 to 2016
- Junior Research Associate, Council on Energy, Environment and Water, New Delhi, March 2014 to September 2014
- Junior Fellow, Observer Research Foundation, 2011 to 2014
- Visiting Faculty (Soft Skill trainer) Ansal’s University, New Delhi, 2013 to 2014
- Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Law (Gold Medalist), Indian Law Institute, New Delhi, 2012 to 2013
- MSc Environmental Impact Assessment and Management, University of Manchester, UK, 2009 to 2011
- BSc Botany, Sri Venkateswara College, University of Delhi, 2006 to 2009