M. Ashraf Haidari is a Visiting Fellow at ORF. He also serves as the Director-General of Policy & Strategy at the Ministry of the Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan.
Mr. Haidari has worked with the Government of Afghanistan in several capacities, most recently as the Deputy Chief of Mission (Minister Counselor) at the Embassy of Afghanistan in New Delhi. He was born and raised in Afghanistan.
- Research Fellow, Afghan Institute for Strategic Studies (AISS), Kabul
- Member, Editorial Board, Diplomatist Magazine, New Delhi
- Visiting Senior Research Fellow, Delhi Policy Group (DPG), 2015 to 2016
- Deputy Chief of Mission (Minister Counselor), Embassy of Afghanistan in New Delhi, 2012 to 2015
- Deputy Assistant National Security Advisor of Afghanistan, 2011 to 2012
- Chargé d’Affaires, Deputy Chief of Mission, Political Counselor, and Acting Defense Attaché — Embassy of Afghanistan in the United States, 2004 to 2011
- Fellow in Foreign Service, Institute for the Study of Diplomacy, Georgetown University, 2002 to 2003
- MA Security Studies (specialisation in international security and development), Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University, US
- BA Political Science and International Relations, Wabash College, Indiana, US
- Dari, Farsi
- Russian (conversational)