Dr. Anita Sengupta is a Visiting Fellow at ORF. She is an area-studies specialist and has been tracking the Eurasian region, with Uzbekistan functioning as her area of special interest. She has also worked extensively on Turkish politics and on the Syrian refugee crisis in Turkey.
Anita has travelled and undertaken fieldwork in many Central Asian countries, which included working with archival material in Tashkent. She has collaborated with universities and institutes in Tashkent, Bishkek, Almaty, Ankara, Istanbul, Sweden, Berlin, and Washington, and has been invited to participate in academic events across the region.
Anita has written four books on Central Asia. Her book, Heartlands of Eurasia: The Geopolitics of Political Space, published in 2009, was selected by the Oxford Bibliographies Online in 2011 as a must read in the section entitled ‘Geopolitics and Geo-Strategy.’ Her books have been reviewed in journals like Central Asian Survey, Nationalities Papers, Geopolitics, and Europe-Asia Studies. She has also contributed to Central Asian Survey, Journal of Central Asian Studies, and Central Asia and the Caucasus.
- Boundaries and State Formation
- Minorities, Minority Identity and Migration
- Gender Issues
- Transitional Politics and Culture in Central Asia
- Senior Researcher, Mahanirban Calcutta Research Group
- Member, Swedish International Programme on Central Asia (SIPCAS)
- Member, Nordic Network for Research on Migration, Identity, Communication and Security (MICS)
- Member, Advisory Board, Strategic Foresight, journal published by Turkish Asian Centre for Strategic Studies (TASAM), Istanbul
- Member, Editorial Board, International Research, Society, Politics, Economics, journal published by the Institute of Socio-Political Research in Astana, Kazakhstan
- Reviewer, Geopolitics, Cambridge Central Asia Review, and Asian Ethnicity
- Member, Governing Body, India Central Asia Foundation
- Researcher, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies
- Visiting Scholar, Humbolt University
- Visiting Lecturer, Calcutta University, Jadavpur University, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Mumbai University, Naval War College on Central Asia
- PhD in Political Science, University of Calcutta
- Postgraduate Degree in Political Science, Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Graduate Degree in Political Science, Presidency College, Kolkata
- Turkish (conversant)